Plymouth text version/graphics version ideas

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sun Nov 11 18:49:37 UTC 2012

Plymouth isn't that hard to customize, though it can take a day or so of work to debug a new or radically modified theme from scratch. Since Jan 2011 I have used the same image for the desktop, plymouth, and grub, so that the desktop background comes up as soon as GRUB starts. My own work with this has gotten buggy a few times(now needing a particular version of GRUB 2, for instance), mostly because of limitations in the documentation of Plymouth and GRUB that keep me from getting a full understanding of all the features-and all the changes.

I think for an installer/default install, using the default desktop image as a background in Plymouth, would have a lot going for it. Same for a GRUB theme if anyone can maintain it. With open source drivers and a single monitor, that means the machine posts, loads the desktop image, flickers once at KMS start, then keeps it up all the way to the display manager(or the full desktop on a live disk or autologin), at which point any other Plymouth animations or logos disappear. This assumes that lightdm and the desktop are using the same background, of course.  The ultimate would be some tool that would on selecting a desktop image offer the option to automatically load it into the lightdm, plymouth, and GRUB themes as well. Absent that, some documentation on how to get the image into those themes would let people do it themselves.