Improving OOTB performance

Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff sergey at elementaryos.org
Mon May 14 20:07:33 UTC 2012

> maybe it is time to start running with
> no swap. If I go and buy 2G of ram and have no swap... I have the same
> visible ram (more because the ram used to deal with swapping is free) but
> no swapping to worry about. If I use something that takes more than those
> 2G of ram the kernel kills it, but so what? It would have done that anyway
> with 1G ram and 1G swap... but everything up to that it fast. Hey we are
> playing with audio, we have to stay within the physical ram anyway....
> lets kill swap.

No swap at all sounds like overreaction. You'd better decrease swappiness
and swap to zram if really needed. Swapping to zram has no noticeable
overhead on my machine, and it allows to fit 3+ Gb of data into my 2Gb RAM
if I need it, and only after that falls back to disk swap. Disk swap is
used only for hibernation nowadays; swapping executable code to disk
commonly referred to as "swapping death".

This is one of those areas where each user needs to be able to find out
> what the options are and set their machine up to meet their requirements.
> US could help by having a great setup tool that makes this easy (easier).

I believe ulatencyd is what you need for automating this. It's an epic tool.

--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff
OS integrator @ elementary