UDS Developments

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue May 8 18:02:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 19:43 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 07:29 PM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > On 05/08/2012 05:37 PM, Scott Lavender wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> There are a few interesting developments that should be shared.
> >>
> >> Firstly, there are discussions about moving the -lowlatency kernel
> >> maintenance into the kernel team as it was pointed out that the patch is
> >> "something like a two line" patch. I don't actually know how long our
> >> patch is. And it seems disproportionate to have to rebuild a new kernel
> >> each time of a security update for such a patch. It was suggested that
> >> this might become a build option for an existing kernel package
> >> maintained
> >> by UKT.
>
> > Great news about the kernel.
> >
> > In fact, another addition to linux confifuration options have made it
> > possible to add threadirqs as a default boot option to the kernel
> > without the need to edit the actual code (currently threadirqs option by
> > default is made possible by a patch to the code):
> >
> > CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL=y
> > CONFIG_CMDLINE="threadirqs"
>
> So, if I'm not missing something, this would mean there will be no patch
> required. Only a different config.

I've got no time to read the whole thread, since I need to repair my
mixer. However, for a full preempt non-rt kernel there is no patch
required. It only depends to the config of a vanilla kernel.

Regarding to the CONFIG options in the previous post, there are some
CONFIG options missing, but those are already set for e.g. the
lowlatency kernel for Ubuntu Studio precise.

Regards,
Ralf