Chromium privacy issue:browser fingerprinting

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Jul 31 19:05:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, July 31, 2012 11:21 am, Luke Kuhn wrote:

> Chromium is widely used because it is faster than many other browsers, but
> it has a problem: the user-agent is hard to change (you have to call it
> from terminal with the new user-agent, how many end users will do that) ,
> and transmits far too much information. In Panopticlick
> (http://panopticlick.eff.org/), it always comes up as "unique" when facing
> a "browser fingerprinting" attack, even when Javascript is disabled.

Chromium has other issues and Ubuntu has told us (even before we asked I
might add) that if we wished to ship chromium we would have to support it.
All I had done was mention that chromium doesn't play well with xfce4.8 it
will raise itself over a "stay on top" window even with just moving the
mouse over it :P

www.OvenWerks.net