Graphics apps

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:55:30 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Sun, July 22, 2012 10:37 am, Shubham Mishra wrote:
>
> > On Sun, July 22, 2012 7:59 PM, Len Ovens wrote
> >> I want to add a menu item that opens
> >>software-center with libreoffice, abiword and gnumeric so that if the
> >> user
> >>wants it they don't have to search.
> >
> > Hmm.. Right. And then that could be done for the other sections as
> > well, like the list of recommended apps that you were talking about
> > (which can also include Krita under graphics, thereby removing the
> > need to include KDE libs beforehand).
>
> That is the idea. I have just looked through our meta files.. and they are
> all full of depends rather than recommends  :P  Like why should our whole
> audio install depend on "meterbridge"? I would include krita for sure in
> that item because there has already been at least one user ask for it.
>
> This does mean a bit more testing... I will have to try installing some of
> these extra packages to make sure they run nice with whatever else we
> have. We will also have to make sure they show up in the right submenu.
>
> The vision of our leader is to include enough to get any job done without
> including every known software in the repo. We also want the user to be
> able at system install to just install the workflow/area they are
> interested in. For that possibility the meta that goes with area should be
> listed so that someone who wants to add a meta later can do so easily.
>
> It is hard thinking of all the possibilities to try to cover.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net

one thing i wouldn't want to do is make a install image that was 4GB for
everyone to download. therefore, i am concerned about incurring tonnes of
new libraries for a particular application. also, i would be cautious about
trying to include applications for _every_ possible creative use for
content creation.

if gimp paint studio is in process into the repos, i would be happy to wait
a cycle to include it rather than make a reactionary decision and include
krita with the additional dependencies.

likewise, i hope our work flows are well though out and provide enough
competent functionality for the majority of users. i feel it would
be disastrous if we felt compelled to include every possible application
solution to a need, not only for those maintaining ubuntu studio but also
(and especially) for the users as i believe it would confuse many of them.

as to the OP: alchemy is an amazing application and i have watched numerous
videos for it, including a renowned contemporary graphics designer who made
something rather incredible withing ten minutes using alchemy.
unfortunately, alchemy appeared to have zero development for years and it
is not in the repos. this doesn't mean we can't work up a "supported" work
flow for it, which would need to include instructions or a link for
installation.

i already mentioned that i would rather wait a reasonable period for gimp
paint studio rather than rashly include krita.

however, i do very much appreciate the input and i think ubuntu studio
benefits when we get user feedback like this.

oh, and len, i agree with not making ubuntustudio-audio depend on
meterbridge. that does seem a little silly.

scottl