moe midi timing testing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 25 08:59:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 22:41 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> Because my usb midi IF has male plugs, I have been using a through port
> which should only add delay and not jitter

You never know, a bad diode or opto-coupler could cause jitter, even if
it's very unlikely. I own adapters female to female.

I repeat it: I'm not using my USB interface for good reasons. I've got
one PCIe and two PCI interface (regarding to a missing cable I only can
use one of the PCI interfaces at the moment). Even in the 80s, when
computers were capable of "real real-time" (the correct term is "hard
real-time") I used several MIDI interfaces when possible. Using one
Interface for all could cause issues, even when the computer doesn't
produce jitter.

A really big issue for Linux is, that there are less coders interested
in facts about MIDI jitter and the abilities of musicians. Any comment
about MIDI jitter and they call you a troll, asshole etc.. There are
just a few coders who don't, a good reason to use JACK2, they listened
to users like me and improved JACK2 a lot regarding to MIDI jitter.

However, you can't improve MIDI timing for an USB interface. Get rid of
USB for MIDI.

Regards,
Ralf