ERe: help button in our main menu

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:45:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Luke Kuhn <lukekuhn at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  A very quick and simple fix would be to  copy the content of that web
> page (just save the page in the browser) and drop the resulting file and
> folder from the web page save into a directory somewhere in the OS, then
> have the "help" button point to and open that file in Firefox
>

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 09:15:26 -0700
> > From: "Len Ovens" <len at ovenwerks.net>
> > To: "ubuntu studio" <Ubuntu-Studio-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
> > Subject: help button in our main menu.
> >
> > Right now our help button on the menu points at a file that doesn't exist
> > in a directory that doesn't exist. The best thing would be to create that
> > file and add it. However, we already missed doing so one cycle and are
> not
> > overflowing with people with time. As a fall back I would like to change
> > the URL to point to our (new and very nice) web page. I don't think this
> > is a good final solution as there are likely to be people who run without
> > any network connection. But it is better than the way it is in 12.04.
> >
> > Should someone have time to put together a web page for the ISO, the URL
> > you would be working with is:
> > /usr/share/ubuntustudio-docs/about/ubuntustudio-index.html
> >
> > I am not sure the about dir is needed, it is just the format xubuntu
> used.
> >
> > Comments?
> >

> > --
> > Len Ovens
> > www.OvenWerks.net

Can I ask what people would like in the "Help" menu?

Xubuntu has information in their help file, which is most likely just
general desktop use. Do we wish to use this as a starting point and
moderate it to fit our applications?

Should we try to include some basics for recording audio, editing video, or
making graphics? If so, do we add to this help file, link to the website,
or include website text in a local file?

I think we could even expand the "Help" menu to include things like a
"Release Notes" entry, link to the website, link to the forums, or link to
access IRC via webchat. I am thinking of this as almost a "Support" entry.
But these are just ideas.

ScottL