Groups, permisions, work flow

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Jan 26 01:52:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, January 24, 2012 8:37 pm, David Henningsson wrote:

> One of the advantages of Linux is that the line between "single user
> system" and "multi user system" is blurry. E g, I could run a web server
> or other service on the same machine as I use for audio production. This
> is great, it saves hardware. If a malicious user breaks in to the web
> server, I don't want him to be able to use RT prio to lock down the
> entire machine.

I would think that running a server of any kind (other than something like
netjack) on an audio machine would remove the need for RT anything... In
the radio stations I have worked in, when the mic goes live, lots of
things get turned off. From monitor audio to telephones... some even lock
the door.... though most just light an on air lamp. Recording studios do
the same. I am thinking a DAW should be able to do the same with
extraneous software. Almost like having a recording runlevel. I really
would not want someone to log in remotely while I was recording the 5th
take of something and find out they did something that ruined the best
take of the day. Yet, there are times it is handy to sftp in to look at
files (from behind the the FW). Turning the network off might help, unless
netjack (or other similar application) is using it.

I think most people want to also be able to use their computer as a
general computer sometimes too. However, the audio/video use is the
priority use for the ubuntustudio distro. One of the reasons US moved to
xfce was something with less overhead, but there is still two screens
worth of process running just for the session (ps x). Top shows 125
process running overall. Top says 80% mem use while taskmanager says 26%
(which is still a lot). I have 1g ram which is not a lot by todays
standards but I think we could use less anyway. It would be nice if
workflows could turn off some of the extra junk.

Hmm, just thinking out loud.

www.OvenWerks.net