Groups, permisions, work flow

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jan 21 17:41:44 UTC 2012

There was some discussion on the IRC channel that got me thinking about
this. Ubuntu's standard position on use of the audio group is here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/TheAudioGroup

While this does not apply to UbuntuStudio, there are some side effects of
using the audio group in any case. Currently, US seems to be set up as a
one person machine. The installing user is both admin and sound engineer
(or video or artist) and is expected to be the one who does the media
creation. This is probably just fine for home use, but once it is used
where more than one person is collaborating on things or more than one
engineer is working on the same project.. even small scale production,
this set up is less than ideal.

My thought is that there should be 3 types of users:
admin - has sudo priv. part of group audio (same as now for one user system)
creator - no sudo, but part of audio and project group (maybe no remote
login?)
vanilla - no sudo or audio group

My thought is that at install there would be an extra user created called
project. No password needed. This would create /home/project. Any user
created as a "creator" would have a link in their home directory to
/home/project and be a part of the project group as well.

then:
chmod g+s project  // project would normally be a group created when user
project was. I was thinking to use the group audio... but thought better
of it.
Then:
setfacl -d -m g::rwx
setfacl -d -m o::r

This would require the acl package. This should (if the web page I got it
from is correct and current) set the group of any newly created file in
the project or sub directories have the group "project" with permissions
set to rwxrwxr--.

So if someone started a project in the project folder, someone else could
add to it or complete it.

Does any of this make sense? Or am I crazy?

www.OvenWerks.net