Help with making first ubuntu package, please :)

c.m.bryan chrismbryan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:30:42 UTC 2012

Hi, everyone!

I'm trying to learn the ropes of package management in the hope that I
can contribute up-to-date packages to Ubuntu Studio. I've been trying
to package sonic-visualiser (http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/), as a
64-bit package has been requested on launchpad
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio/+bug/196225). I am only
running at 32 bits at the moment, but hope to upgrade in a week's time
:-D  In the meantime I was hoping to compile a 32-bit version just as
a tutorial for myself!

So, it compiles fine for me and I've edited the files in ./debian/
according to http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/packaging-new-software.html,
but after running 'debuild -us -uc' (which seems to be doing
everything is should), lintian gives me two warnings:

W: sonic-visualiser source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.9.2
(current is 3.9.3)
W: sonic-visualiser: empty-binary-package

And, sure enough, there's no executable in the .deb.  Can anyone
explain what I'm missing? I'm wondering if it is because the source
for the executable is in a dedicated folder alongside several
libraries, instead of at the top level, so perhaps the packager
doesn't see it?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

-cm.bryan