More panel thoughts

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:24:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> Here is what the panel looks like after my mods so far:
>
> http://www.ovenwerks.net/UStudiodocs/panel.html
>
> Having said that... I think we should remove the second panel all
> together. The reason being that we can not maintain it. Any changes we
> make to the master file that defines the panel(s) will only be seen by a
> new user or on a fresh install. An upgrade will not change the user's
> panel because the first time you log into a session after your account is
> created the panel spec is copied to your home folder in .config/
>
> So if we stop shipping an app that is in the panel because it is outdated
> and no longer in repo, the panel will show a blank button that doesn't
> work. The new app we replace it with won't show up even though we have
> added it to the new panel template.
>
> We could replace each user's panel def file at upgrade, but this would be
> annoying to the user if they have placed their panel else where, added
> their own customizations etc. Bad idea.
>
> We could try parsing the file looking for apps we have removed and remove
> the icons that go with them.... but, they are not named... when the panel
> config is moved into the user's .conf/dir the *.desktop files are copied
> there too, but not with there same names, rather they become a random
> number file name and the panel config reflects this. We would have to
> clean up these desktop files too... is this sounding painful yet?
>
> My opinion is that we should get rid of the second panel while we can...
> those who upgrade fro oneiric are already stuck with the xfce stock panel
> that shipped with.

i think you have done a great job on this panel len... i agree 100%.. we've
never had a dock/panel, and although i usually set one up very similar in
look and feel on my production machine, i feel like its one more thing to
maintain, and one more thing that can not possibly please everyone.

i vote no panel as well, but i like where you are going with it len if we
end up shipping one.. thanks!

--
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net