live video switching (was: Linux Tools for Serious > Photographers)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 10 12:40:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 12:45 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> I think there is a reason it is
> hard to find software that can do this stuff, not enough people want it or
> the hardware is just not there yet. I did find a thread where someone was
> looking for such stuff, the responses were all that it was better to get
> hardware, that any of the software solutions showed noticeable lag. So
> computers have gotten faster, but they are still not there yet.

There were several threads where coders like Paul Davis gave some
comments. The coders say, it's impossible to program this software
without a team of many coders that are payed. It already takes a long
time to get Ardour that good as it is today, for video software it would
take much longer.
Ignoring the special video hardware, even for very oldish Apple
computers you already get completely professional software. I don't know
how much the video hardware is.

Regards,
Ralf