OT: Linux Tools for Serious Photographers

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Aug 9 05:27:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, August 7, 2012 3:08 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 14:13 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
>> Our RCA studio cameras were a bit bigger, but the peds and controls were
>> similar. Control room layout was much the same too.
>
> At that time "bigger" usually caused a better quality. The funny thing
> is, that zooming and sharpness was operated directly mechanically for
> those oldish Bosch cameras. White balance was done via intercom, between

Zoom and focus are still mechanical. We used to train our cameramen by
tying a sand bag to the lighting grid and swinging it in a circle. Then
get the cameraman to keep the bag 1) in focus, 2) center frame, and 3)
always the same size(zoom). Motorized focus can't do something smooth
enough for most producers. Our ENG guys often did their zooms manually
too, even though they had motorized on the camera. If a studio camera was
going to move much, the cameraman had a helper to deal with the cable.

www.OvenWerks.net