No audio output using Precise due to pulseaudio?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Apr 30 05:41:42 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 13:51 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, April 29, 2012 7:14 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Looking for RME cards:
> > Card 0: RME AIO S/N 0x579bcc at 0xfdbf0000, irq 18
> > RME AIO found!
> > Card 1: TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbf00, irq 20
> > Card 2: TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbb00, irq 21
> > Card 3: KORG INC. nanoKONTROL at usb-0000:00:13.0-2, full speed
> > 1 RME cards card found.
> > Restoring last presets used
>
> Probably not related to your problem, but I am doing something similar
> (using one card for midi and the other for sound) and found that for
> stable sound I had to move the cards around in the MB slots till the card
> I was using for audio had a higher interrupt than the card I was using for
> midi. That is my D66 is irq 21 and my ensoniq irq 20. (irq 23 -first
> service- is hard wired to usb 2, and the slot that would get irq 22 still
> has the case knockout in frount of it)

I agree that remounting cards could improve a lot, unfortunately I've
got 2 PCI slots and one PCIe x1 and one PCIe x16 slot only.
The TerraTec cards are using the PCI slots, the RME card is mounted to
the PCIe x1 and the NVIDIA graphics, a replacement for an integrated ATI
is mounted to the PCIe x16 slot. There's no way to change slots.

> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf can be changed to force your TerraTec
> driver to load after your RME driver. I put a line like:
> options snd-ens1370 index=-2
> in mine so my D66 is always card 0

Thank you, I know that and will add it later. The sequence was an issue
for older Debian (64 Studio, FAQ #13 http://www.64studio.com/faq_user )
but for the last years there wasn't the need to do that.

> Next, I have made sure that PA has the ensoniq turned off.
> Next, best to unload PA-jack bridging. This can be done on the fly like this:
> pactl unloadmodule `pactl list short modules |grep jackdbus |sed
> s/module-jackdbus-detect//`
> The easiest way to reload the modules is: pulseaudio --kill.
>
> The _only_ Use I can think of to use PA-jack bridging is to record a phone
> conversation where the phone software requires PA (Skype?). So if you
> never expect to do that, maybe unistall the jacksink package. The package
> name is actually: pulseaudio-module-jack
>
> Can't think of anything else right now.

Thank you, I didn't know that, but I already removed PA completely
(excepted of the lib) and sound now is ok.

- Ralf