No audio output using Precise due to pulseaudio?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Apr 29 14:52:54 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 10:39 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> if it were my box, i would remove/disable all but the RME for
> testing/troubleshooting.. i would want to here any known good audio
> file play... could be as simple as an alsa or kernel version not
> supplying support anymore, or a config issue... i feel the subject
> line, and your earlier assumption is not correct though "due to
> pulse"... i usually run aplay -l in the terminal to see if alsa is
> seeing the devices that pulse would be using...

spinymouse at precise:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Default [RME AIO_579bcc], device 0: RME AIO [RME AIO]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: EWX2496 [TerraTec EWX24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: EWX2496_1 [TerraTec EWX24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And a test tone send from my mixing console is shown by the hdspmixer!
If this happens (no out but in is ok), removing PA usually will solve
the issue.
I'll reboot in some minutes and do a backup. After that I'll find a way
to disable or remove PA. Maybe a dummy package will do the job.

- Ralf