Xubuntu and Ubuntu Studio Release Candidate images on ISO tracker

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Apr 21 21:22:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, April 21, 2012 1:13 pm, Janne Jokitalo wrote:

> For Ubuntu Studio, you are faced with two test cases; Install (ubiquity)
> and
> Live Session. The latter is the one you would choose when you want to see
> how
> the distribution runs, prior to proceeding with the install, whereas the
> former
> will commence with the install immediately.

Just a quick note, I have found that installing from the live session is
just as fast as installing from boot, while providing more options.

 - open a terminal (xterm) and run less /var/log/syslog. Press F once
   running to follow the tail (I am told tail -f doesn't work).

 - being able to kill ubiquity from a terminal if needed.

 - If you have a drive you don't want touched (including the grub sector)
   mount it by opening file manager and clicking on the drive you want
   left alone and opening a subfolder. ubuiquity will ask if you want it
   to try umounting it... say no.

 - if using wireless, it can be connected before running the installer.
   The installer will give one more option on one of the first few pages.

However, in all fairness, both ways need testing.

Len

www.OvenWerks.net