ffmpeg "extra" libs

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 30 22:49:26 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 04:18 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> I was looking at the US ubuntustudio.precise seeds. to see if it might be
> obvious to me why the non extra libs are a problem.
>
> It appears that the gstreamer package is part of the desktop-common part
> of things which will set the dependencies to the non-extra libs before any
> of the other audio packages are looked at by the installer.
>
> What this means is that the extra style libs are actually needed in the
> desktop-common set of apps anyway and should be installed at that time.
> That is, all the stuff in the ffmpeg-common package should be moved into
> the desktop-common package... I would go one step farther and blacklist
> the non-extra packages (just to be sure). The other option would be to set
> ffmpeg-common as a dependency of desktop-common, but that doesn't really
> make sense if they are going to be loaded all the time anyway.
>
> Getting the extra libs set up as preferred might be hard to do as each
> application that uses these libs sets it's own preference. So any new
> package added later could mess things up again anyway.

There are possible licensing issues with the "extra" libs which is why
they are in multiverse.  Applications in main or universe cannot depend
solely on these binaries.  There should be alternate dependencies in
place to allow one to choose between the "extra" and regular versions of
each library.  The regular library has to take preference though.

Thanks,
Micah