ffmpeg "extra" libs

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Nov 30 22:18:03 UTC 2011

I was looking at the US ubuntustudio.precise seeds. to see if it might be
obvious to me why the non extra libs are a problem.

It appears that the gstreamer package is part of the desktop-common part
of things which will set the dependencies to the non-extra libs before any
of the other audio packages are looked at by the installer.

What this means is that the extra style libs are actually needed in the
desktop-common set of apps anyway and should be installed at that time.
That is, all the stuff in the ffmpeg-common package should be moved into
the desktop-common package... I would go one step farther and blacklist
the non-extra packages (just to be sure). The other option would be to set
ffmpeg-common as a dependency of desktop-common, but that doesn't really
make sense if they are going to be loaded all the time anyway.

Getting the extra libs set up as preferred might be hard to do as each
application that uses these libs sets it's own preference. So any new
package added later could mess things up again anyway.

www.OvenWerks.net