Dual screens

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Nov 26 19:15:15 UTC 2011

Testing on an aspire one netbook. Using daily ISO from NOV 25.

 - tried using xrandr... shows what I have but when I tried to put screens
side by side it just gave me a usage screen. Man page was no help it
seemed to indicate I was doing things correctly.
 - installed grandr and was able to put the external monitor to side.
Mouse moves freely from one monitor to the next. Upper panel can span
both monitors. Applications like parole that can go full screen with no
decorations grab only one monitor. I have not installed presenter or
lyricue to see if they deal properly with the separate monitors. (control
panel on one and display on the other) Are there slide show apps that can
use this too? I am just thinking what might be useful for live
performance... Lyricue would be happy with two computers, one for control
and the other for display anyway, but dual monitor would be more
portable.

Xrandr shows everything as screen 0 only. Grandr shows output as cloned
with Extend "greyed" out. I don't seem to be able to get the two monitors
to show up as two workspaces. Probably because there is only one screen.
The workspace panel applet shows only the apps on the one screen... which
ever screen is left or above.

Still, for more screen real estate it works fine. QjackCtl, Hydrogen and
Ardour are much easier to use with two screens... just move the mouse from
side to side. Applications can be placed on the screen who's geometry best
fits.

I will install and test the two programs above and see if they work.

www.OvenWerks.net