bug and solution

Luke Kuhn lukekuhn at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 01:28:38 UTC 2011

With all the menu stuff going on and admin applications not even showing up in main Ubuntu or gnome menus, I have gotten into the habit of launching things like synaptic directly from terminal with sudo. A gui launch errors out silently for things like a typo in the password, while sudo in terminal will prompt you again. Good passwords have the disadvantage of generating typos.As for upgrades, my experience is that it is best not to let the next alpha after a release get more than a few days ahead before switching repos, doing the job directly in synaptic. This applies of course to my practice of treating Ubuntu as a permanent unstable.

Message: 6