distro installs

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Nov 19 23:39:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 15:01 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, November 19, 2011 1:45 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > I'm using a lot of dummy packages. Sometimes I care about dependencies
> > and versions, in other words, I add that a package depends to another
> > package version >= x etc. to the dummy, but most of the times I simply
> > use the names of the packages that should be replaced by the dummies and
> > don't add anything. In cases when I don't know what I do, I backup the
> > Linux before I add a dummy package.
>
> That part I figured out. In this case we are talking about a distro. I
> would think that trying to have two packages with the same name on a CD or
> worse as a downloadable package would be a problem. We need the right way
> to do this so both packages can live with each other happily in the
> repository and get installed at the right time on our system.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net

Sorry, a misunderstanding, seemingly I haven't read your first mail
correctly.
Debian does this for Jack. I'm using a self compiled Jack, but Debian
provides packages for Jack1 and Jack2. There's a package called jackd. A
dependency of the package ardour is the package jackd. The package jackd
is a dummy package, that will be installed, if you install the package
jackd1 or the package jackd2.

In your case installing one package and installing additionally a dummy
package is just a workaround. For the distro all packages should have
the dependency to a dummy package that will be installed, if lib a or
lib b is installed. This would be the clean solution.

A dirty solution would be that lib a would install a dummy package
called lib b and lib b would install a dummy package called lib a.