12.04 distro installs

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 04:28:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> I have been downloading and trying to install the distro every time there
> is a new date on it. Todays (Nov16) is the first time I was able to do so.

thanks for the update, it's good to know the image can be tested now

> I was not able to install all the workflows, but installed with no work
> flows.

this may be an issue of the i32-libs still, maybe not.  if it doesn't clear
up in a day or so we will look into it.

> When I booted The US spinner was there and the US lightdm
> background... better than 11.10 :)  The desktop still has a mouse in the
> middle though.

i hope to start the theme transition pretty soon, including the desktop
wallpaper.

> Synaptic can not be run as instead of asking for the sudo
> users password it asks for the root pw... I wanted to try installing meta
> pkgs till it failed so I would know which one makes the install fail. As
> that didn't work I did sudo aptitude to install the metas that way....
> they all installed fine... so the post install app for installing work
> flows may solve other problems too.

hmmm, that's interesting, not sure what to make of it at this moment.

I have not done a general test of the gui sudo stuff to see if this is
> just the one app or any sudo app.
>
> Comments: As I loaded the system to a netbook (40Gig usb2 hard drive), I
> used a usb mem stick. Aptitude was not able to find it till I made a link
> in /media from "cdrom" to my memstick. There was no noticeable slowdown
> running this way... but I did not really test that.
>
> Some sort of text editor would be nice.

the missing text editor is a know issue which is tied to a blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-p-ubuntustudio-misc-improvements

we would like to do two things which you and others can help with.
basically we are trying to evaluate the xfce applications chosen to replace
gnome applications are acceptable for mundane tasks like text editors,
music players, etc.

so, the first thing is we would like feedback on the xfce applications
already included.  are there better ones you would prefer?  is the one we
have already acceptable?

second, are there any things we are missing, like the text editor?

feedback for both items will be extremely useful.

> Anyway, thats it for now.
>
> Len
>
> --
> Len Ovens