Removing Pulseaudio, and overweight DE's affects on performance

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Nov 14 04:12:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 23:17 +0000, Luke Kuhn wrote:
> In my experience, the main difficulty in removing Pulseaudio is
> finding a replacement volume control applet that can sit in a systray.

I don't need such a volume control. For my workflow it would be useless.

> Has anybody tried to FIX pulseaudio so it would, say, perform as well
> as Jack?

And imagine that all the manpower developing pulseaudio would have been
brought in developing jackd, instead of wasting it for pulseaudio
development.

> GNOME3 with gnome-shell-frippery does a good job at multitasking and
> can be used like GNOME2, but it's still heavy, maybe even more so than
> GNOME3 by itself.

Currently I set up a GNOME 3 in fallback mode, aka GNOME 2 mode, this
results in black text on black background and white text on white
background, freezing Linux, missing icon themes etc..

For my old 32-bit 800 MHz single-core Athlon even low weight DEs didn't
improve much. Using the frame based Ion2 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_%28window_manager%29 - did improve a
lot.
Performance regarding to the DE isn't an issue for my 64-bit 2.1 GHz
dual-core Athlon. Reliability and workflow are important for me, anyway
I agree that a studio distro shouldn't use a DE that needs more
resources than GNOME 2 did.

- Ralf