OT: Unity and GNOME 3

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Nov 13 17:04:06 UTC 2011

At Debian mailing list I read about people switching from Ubuntu (not
Ubuntu Studio) to Debian, because they're annoyed by Unity. Debian
testing users are whining about GNOME 3, most threads are about the bad
of GNOME 3.

There's a fork of GNOME 2

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 11:01 +0100:
> >> d) Fork GNOME2 and bring it back yourself. It's Free Software.
> >
> I just want to point out that a gnome 2 fork already exists: it is
> called Mate [1,2].
>
> IMHO, it is unlikely that gnome 2 fork (like this) get a big
> audience/support. It is true that there is a big disappointment about
> gnome 3 (as everyone reading this ML can
> witness), but gnome 3 is here to stay. Hopefully it'll get better with
> future releases.
>
> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=999792
> [2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11333073

I suspect that Unity and GNOME 3 will be unaccepted by most Linux users
even in the future and I don't think that a GNOME 2 fork will grow up,
but I guess GNOME 3 will enable a GNOME 2 mode, aka they CAN'T drop
fallback mode.

I pointed out that Ubuntu Studio doesn't use Unity and the successor of
Debian stable, Debian testing already is using GNOME 3.

At Debian users mailing list you'll read about users switching from
Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora to Debian, just regarding to GNOME 3, since they
aren't aware that Debian testing already switched to GNOME 3.

I guess we'll get back GNOME 2 ;).

2 Cents,

Ralf