Workflow Meeting

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:53:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Jon Reagan <jreagan90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to narrow this down a bit, how would Friday or Saturday work for everyone?
>
> Jon

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Missed the initial email, so apologies for breaking the threading/order.
>>>
>>> I'm available almost any time throughout the week, with the exception of
>>> Wednesday between 1000 UTC and 1400 UTC.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jaska

>>> --
>>>

>> I'd love to be involved in this process. This week I'm free Wed onward from
>> about 00:30utc to roughly 08:30utc each day. Sunday is almost totally open
>> right now too.
>> -Eric Hedekar
>>
>> --

so far i read wednesday, friday, and saturday as suggestions.  given
that today is wednesday and we don't have a consensus yet i do not
think it will be today, although it would have been my preference.

it would seem that friday or saturday would be the remaining choices.

i would like to suggest saturday as our choice, although i do not have
a preference for a time but I would suggest our conventional 17:00UTC.
 it would be helpful if others can offer their opinions on whether
saturday is acceptable or not and also for a suggestion time.

logistics aside, i wanted to offer a few thoughts on how i think we
should choose supported tasks and their work flows:
1. if a particular work flow for a task does NOT have a complete tool
chain, we cannot consider it for support at this time.  we should work
towards improving development or getting packages into ubuntu at which
time we can reevaluate inclusion.
2. even if a work flow has a complete tool chain but the task is not a
very highly demanded one then i suggest that we do NOT consider it at
this time.  we need to get the basic completed this cycle but we can
certainly reevaluate inclusion next cycle.
3. be conservative in the scope of our choices and consider our target
to at least provide the same functionality as the previous cycle.  if
we can match the previous cycle's functionality then this isn't a
regression, but would certainly be the infrastructure for a very
remarkable and potent feature.

i ask people to make sure to review the work flow wiki page before the
meeting.  if you unable to attend a meeting you can reply to this
email thread with your thoughts and considerations.

lastly, i don't know if it is helpful (i think it will be) but i would
like to provide the definition for a few words:
* task - generally the goal of the user, can be extremely specific or
somewhat broad in scope.  for example, to 'create a concert poster'
would be pretty specific and to 'record an album' might be fairly
broad.  the term 'task' could also be considered the measure of
success.

* work flow - this is an overview of the process, much like chapters
in a book or a conceptual staging of what steps are required.  there
can be multiple work flows for a task.  for example, make record an
album one could use midi instruments or one could use real
instruments, this would produce different work flows.

* tool chain - which applications are used to accomplish a specific
work flow.  should be complete without any missing applications or the
work flow and task are unsupported and therefore useless.  for
example, the application requirements would be different for a
midi-centric work flow compared to a live instrument work flow.

as you can see, the considerations start broad (tasks) and progress
into more specifics (work flow -> tool chain) in a very logical
manner.  i suppose you could add another step at the end...

* step-by-step instructions - this would be the individual steps
required to accomplish the task based on a a specific work flow and
the tool chain used for that work flow.  this would good for creating
a tutorial in a wiki or a video.

hopefully this isn't too much information and it doesn't drive people off.

i hope we can have a productive meeting by this weekend so that we
have everyone's input to determine what we are going to support and
tell colin watson next week.

scottl