Social Comfort Level on new website

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:48:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Jussi Schultink <jussi01 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Eric Hedekar <afterthebeep at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
> Its not often I write to the list, so please excuse the intrusion :)
>
>> I just want to put something into your heads and possibly either start a
>> discussion on here, or in IRC over a group brainstorm.  A few people have
>> talked about social integration on the new website but thus-far it's been a
>> very vague suggestion.  I'd like you all to consider what level of social
>> interaction A) you're comfortable as a developer interacting with the site
>> B) what members of the community would expect or find useful C) should be
>> avoided.
>
> I think on a general level you probably want some integration with
> facebook and g+ pages - probably postings to them the same as articles
> on the site and so on.

eric, are you suggesting that social posts by developers/contributors
would be included in the "social media ticker" on the website?  i had
not previously considered that, but if so i am NOT in favor of this.

my original thought was that any post with a '#ubuntustudio' hashtag
would be included, which would embrace the entire community including
possible articles written by bloggers and tech writers.

this does not discriminate developers/contributors against community
by making it an 'opt in' use.

>> I've left participation to that of developers for now - I can imagine use
>> cases where the community as a whole is more involved in the site, but I
>> think it should be more of an 'official' site with connections to other
>> arenas where community members participate socially (facebook, twitter,
>> launchpad, wiki, etc...).
>
> I think you need to make it mostly opt in - so have a feed of say
> twitter/identica etc that filters by hashtag (#ubuntustudio?) So when
> someone comments on ubuntu studio, you see it on the site.

+1 to jussi's comments.

i don't want to take a hard stance on open source philosophy to
exclude facebook, twitter, et al.  it would be nice to only support
open source solutions but we would also be limiting our audience in
doing so.  i am a firm believe that it is ineffective to only preach
to the converted if you want growth or increasing acceptance and use.