Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric artwork brainstorming/discussion

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue May 24 01:06:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 18:10 -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:

> I like simplicity overall.  Like a Bauhaus approach.  Think Google
> simplicity but with subtle style.

The Bauhaus approach:
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DvvaTY-DGsWe-QaH8dzSDw&ved=0CDYQBSgA&q=gropiusstadt&spell=1&biw=1152&bih=645

Pure unadulterated kitsch, but it has got charm:
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&biw=1152&bih=645&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=die
+zeitmaschine&aq=f&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=

Excessive ornamental, but anyway, conciseness, minimalistic:
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&xhr=t&q=artdeco&cp=4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1152&bih=645
http://www.google.de/search?um=1&hl=de&biw=1152&bih=645&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=jugendstil&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Less is more, but also for supposed simplicity. I'm sure that most
people like today's common desktop vogue. And as I've written before,
the layout is good, but OTOH, why not doing something that isn't the
current whim of trend? Not for Oneiric, but e.g. for the release that
will follow.

Once Bauhaus was celebrated, but here in Germany we also know the bad of
this school of thinking, granted Gropiusstadt is AFAIK the most worse
that ever was realized, but the idea behind the Bauhaus caused much more
evil plans, than Gropiusstadt. Fortunately they were not realized.

OTOH, I e.g. won't call Albers or Kandinzky Bauhaus artists. There's
nothing bad with this kind of design. I like both very much. But art IMO
can be more pleasant, than design.

IMO all of those modern layouts are copies of the current Apple and
Microsoft trend. And I bet that all flagship themes for current releases
of different DEs will look similar, hence it will become very boring, if
all distros will add similar themes instead of being bold avant-garde.

;)