PulseAudio and Ubuntu Studio 11.10

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue May 17 05:59:04 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-17 06:24, Scott Lavender wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM, David Henningsson
> <david.henningsson at canonical.com
> <mailto:david.henningsson at canonical.com>> wrote:
>

>     Sources and sinks, yes. Well, they should show up in both PulseAudio
>     and JACK - since it is a connection between JACK and PulseAudio you
>     should be able to route it the way you want in both PulseAudio and JACK.
>

>     If you have both Natty and the DBus version of Jack2, it should show
>     up automatically. If you use Lucid, Maverick, or Natty with another
>     version of Jack, you'll need one or both of terminal command(s):
>

>     pacmd load-module module-jack-sink
>     pacmd load-module module-jack-source
>
>     ...depending on whether you want to link playback, recording, or both.
>

>     --
>     David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
>     http://launchpad.net/~diwic <http://launchpad.net/%7Ediwic>
>

> David,
>
> Okay, did some testing tonight but had some trouble.
>
> Since qjackctl has the wrapper script to suspend Pulse Audio I shied
> away from it,

Hmm, is that script still present? AFAIK it was removed in Maverick,
when PA and Jack implemented the device reservation protocol.

> although I realize that I could have called the binary
> directly and skipped the script.  However, I did it from the command line.

If I just run "qjackctl" from a terminal here, it does not suspend
PulseAudio.

> Firstly, I checked the jack version [1], which appears to be correct as
> it is jack2 and in Natty.

For the automatic stuff you want to make sure that Setup -> Misc ->
"Enable D-Bus interface" is checked as well.

> My first test was to start playing an .ogg file with Totem and then try
> to start jack from the command line.  The result was that jack found the
> hardware locked...Ptui!  Ubuntu pastebin isn't working, sorry for the
> wall of text:
>
> scott at natty-studio:~$ jackd -dalsa -dhw:1 -r44100 -p512 -n3

...and start "jackdbus" instead of "jackd" here.

> jackdmp 1.9.7
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> no message buffer overruns
> no message buffer overruns
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> control device hw:1
> control device hw:1
> audio_reservation_init
> Acquire audio card Audio1
> creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|512|3|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:1
> Using ALSA driver HDA-Intel running on card 1 - HDA Intel at 0xfe9fc000
> irq 45
> the playback device "hw:1" is already in use. Please stop the
> application using it and run JACK again
> Cannot initialize driver
> JackServer::Open() failed with -1
> Failed to start server

Hmm, under this scenario, could you supply the output of "sudo fuser -v
/dev/snd/*"? It sounds like totem does not use pulseaudio but goes to
the sound card through some other path.

> Now, I reversed the process and start jack from the command line and
> then try to start Totem with the .ogg file:
>
> scott at natty-studio:~$ jackd -dalsa -dhw:1 -r44100 -p512 -n3
> jackdmp 1.9.7
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> no message buffer overruns
> no message buffer overruns
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> control device hw:1
> control device hw:1
> audio_reservation_init
> Acquire audio card Audio1
> creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|512|3|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:1
> Using ALSA driver HDA-Intel running on card 1 - HDA Intel at 0xfe9fc000
> irq 45
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames (11.6 ms), buffer = 3 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
> ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 3 periods for playback
> ^Cjack main caught signal 2
> control device hw:1
> Released audio card Audio1
> audio_reservation_finish
> control device hw:1
>
> This started jack well but Totem refused to play the song.  When I ctl-c
> to stop jack then Totem started up directly and began to play the song.
>

> At this point I didn't try either 'pacmd' lines until I hear back from
> you as it seems you expected this to work.  I realize, however, that
> there is a real chance that I'm doing something wrong too :)

Could you also check
1)  the "Connect" window in qjackctl and see if there are PulseAudio
sources and sinks there?
2) in the "pavucontrol" application, check that "Totem" is set to output
to the Jack sink?

Maybe they just need to be connected manually?