PulseAudio and Ubuntu Studio 11.10

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sun May 15 20:27:40 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-15 21:32, Scott Lavender wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM, David Henningsson
> <david.henningsson at canonical.com
> <mailto:david.henningsson at canonical.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2011-05-14 00:28, Scott Lavender wrote:
>
>         David,
>
>         After you updated the blueprint I was going to email you about
>         this. I believe that pulse does not support jack and is built
>         without this option.
>         There are several bugs to this effect I believe.
>
>         It would be extremely nice to be able to thread pulse audio
>         streams through jack and vice versatile.
>

>     Since Lucid (IIRC), PulseAudio is built with JACK support.
>
>     A few months ago I made an additional module to automatically add
>     JACK sinks and JACK sources to PulseAudio whenever JACK is started.
>     This requires the DBus version of JACK, and is included in Natty. In
>     other versions of JACK or Ubuntu, you need to load it manually using
>     the "pacmd load-module module-jack-sink" command.
>     (This is all about layering PulseAudio on top of JACK - layering
>     JACK on top of PulseAudio is not supported as AFAIK there is no good
>     reason why you want to do it.)
>
>     It surprises me a little that neither of you seems to know about
>     this. Is there some trouble activating this feature or have you just
>     not checked it lately?
>

>     --
>     David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
>     http://launchpad.net/~diwic <http://launchpad.net/%7Ediwic>
>

> I haven't checked lately.  There are numerous bugs are still open about
> this subject,  although perhaps not for exactly what we are discussing.
> And since this type of issue isn't discussed or announced openly and
> pervasively it is sometimes hard to keep up with changes/improvements.
>
> I am currently replacing Lucid on my main machine with Natty Ubuntu
> Studio and will test this however.
>
> But David, can you explain the behavior you would expect me to
> experience?  Will I see Pulse Audio sources in JACK?  or simply JACK
> sources in Pulse Audio?

Sources and sinks, yes. Well, they should show up in both PulseAudio and
JACK - since it is a connection between JACK and PulseAudio you should
be able to route it the way you want in both PulseAudio and JACK.

> Will this require manually adding the additional module you described?
> or is it already included?

If you have both Natty and the DBus version of Jack2, it should show up
automatically. If you use Lucid, Maverick, or Natty with another version
of Jack, you'll need one or both of terminal command(s):

pacmd load-module module-jack-sink
pacmd load-module module-jack-source

...depending on whether you want to link playback, recording, or both.