PulseAudio and Ubuntu Studio 11.10

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sun May 15 18:47:37 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-14 00:28, Scott Lavender wrote:
> David,
>
> After you updated the blueprint I was going to email you about this. I believe that pulse does not support jack and is built without this option.
> There are several bugs to this effect I believe.
>
> It would be extremely nice to be able to thread pulse audio streams through jack and vice versatile.

Since Lucid (IIRC), PulseAudio is built with JACK support.

A few months ago I made an additional module to automatically add JACK
sinks and JACK sources to PulseAudio whenever JACK is started. This
requires the DBus version of JACK, and is included in Natty. In other
versions of JACK or Ubuntu, you need to load it manually using the
"pacmd load-module module-jack-sink" command.
(This is all about layering PulseAudio on top of JACK - layering JACK on
top of PulseAudio is not supported as AFAIK there is no good reason why
you want to do it.)

It surprises me a little that neither of you seems to know about this.
Is there some trouble activating this feature or have you just not
checked it lately?

> ScottL
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 13, 2011, at 3:26 PM, David Henningsson<david.henningsson at canonical.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 2011-05-13 22:22, C K wrote:
>>>
>>> As it is so tightly woven into Ubuntu, I suspect it will. We are
>>> however looking to better integrate JACK with PA. (seems like we've
>>> been trying this forever)
>>
>> In what way isn't it currently integrated enough?
>>
>> --
>> David Henningsson
>> http://launchpad.net/~diwic
>>
>> --