cpu frequency scaling

Ricardo Lameiro ricardolameiro at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 21:32:17 UTC 2011

Second version of the script :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1333955/cpu.tar.gz

Very simple GUI only with a button to set all the CPU cores to the
performance governor. This script now does not depends on the the
gnome-applets package (cpufreq-selector).
Most of the functions arent inside de GUI class to allow integration
with other GUIs or already made software.

2011/6/18 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 09:59 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
>> here is the next meeting agenda if one of you would like to add this
>> issue there and come and get the wheels
>> turning https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Meetings/2011July3
>>

>> i suppose the first logical question is, *can* we physically address
>> the CPU scaling issue, and it looks like its something that can be
>> implemented with a script. the other reason why maybe this
>> cant/shouldn't be done could be something to do with security or
>> something else i am unaware of. would one of you like to check on
>> this??
>
> Security isn't an issue anymore, since policykit does make it secure. In
> the past there was the need for SUID and this was a security issue. OTOH
> even then SUID wasn't needed, asking for the password was a secure
> possibility.
>
>> the next question is *should* we do this. if the proposal is to set
>> CPU governor to performance out of the box, i disagree. we cant assume
>> that most folks using ubuntustudio are using it for audio production,
>> nor can we assume most folks using ubuntustudio for audio production
>> are using JACK. this does not mean im right, and that you cant push
>> for having the CPU governor set to performance out of the box.
>
> Sounds like a poll is needed.
>
>>  i think a nice compromise would be a popup that asks the question
>> (like gerhard suggested). this would need to be something simple, and
>> something that does *not* look like there is a problem with the
>> machine. my only thoughts on that are, if im a new ubuntustudio user,
>> and a popup comes up talking about a CPU governor, am i going to know
>> what that means? am i going to think something is wrong or broken?
>
> +1
>
> The popup could explain the reason why.

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon