cpu frequency scaling

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jun 18 09:54:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 02:11 +0200, Gerhard Lang wrote:
> And again, even in times of dawning kernel 3.0, I'm harping the same old
> theme: Most musician's complaints about poor performance, bad latencies
> and unacceptable xrun/buffersize ratio with consequence of yearning for
> better realtime kernel functionality  are result of automatic cpu
> frequency scheduling i.e. system hiccups by scaling the cpu frequency on
> demand. My suggestion for a future 1. range ubuntustudio  feature is a
> small userfriendly gui for this with setting 'performance' by default.
> For an avarage audiophile ubuntu newbie it takes some weeks until she
> found out how to customize cpu frequency  with panel apps or alternative
> stuff in new releases, and before this epiphany happens, ubuntustudio
> might be removed from the harddisk for reason of insufficiency. I would
> bet on it. I'd do it myself if I had the coding skills.
> best regards
> Gerhard

Debian installs a script that by default set the scaling to ondemand,
Ubuntu Studio could use this script to set it to performance.

At the moment no major distro cares about professional multimedia
production, that's a pity.

New users can't read all manuals. And most vendors of top-notch audio
cards don't care about Linux. No famous professional audio studio is
using Linux. This should change! It would, if idiotic issues would be
eliminated. On issue is voodoo by frequency scaling.

2 Cents,

Ralf