Heads up, gcdmaster no longer available in Oneiric.

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:07:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 10:30 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >         Do you keep in mind, that a lot of Linux audio users migrate
> >         from distro
> >         to distro, regarding to what at the moment fit best to their
> >         needs?
> >
> >         I never used this app, but people who are accustomed to it,
> >         might prefer
> >         it for their work-flow.
> >
> >         Don't make it harder for people to migrate to Ubuntu Studio.
> >
> >         2 Cents,
> >
> >         Ralf
> >

> > hey Ralph.. ill just paste in Luke's message that started this thread
> > which contains a very concise explanation of not only why gcdmaster is
> > going away. but also what we can do to keep it around...
> >

> > "Hi folks,
> > I still lirk here and read some discussion from time to time, and one
> > thing I noticed was the daily report of uninstallability issues with
> > the studio images, the latest one involving gcdmaster/cdrdao. I have
> > fixed that issue in the seeds, and am presently uploading a new meta
> > to fix it in the archive properly. The downside is that you lose
> > gcdmaster. Its worth noting that gcdmaster uses old GNOME libraries
> > which are being removed from the Ubuntu images, and even main.
> > Gcdmaster is also not really maintained upstream. Unfortunately this
> > is not easily fixable, as gcdmaster is built from the cdrdao package,
> > which is in main.
> >
> > If you want gcdmaster, then someone needs to step up and 1) maintain
> > it, and 2) port it away from legacy GNOME libs.
> >
> > Luke"
>
> IIUC it depends to the switch from GNOME2 to another DE by Ubuntu. Apart
> from the Linux audio community/ Ubuntu Studio community, what opinions
> are common by the Ubuntu users community?
>
> There's a German idiom 'zweigleisig fahren' (driving double-tracked),
> that's what I'm doing. In this case it does mean I'm using Ubuntu and
> Debian and I'll wait for what will happen in the future.
>
> I wonder if Ubuntu drifts too much away from being comfortable for audio
> usage. Imagine an engineer accustomed to Linux audio can't work with any
> Linux anymore, because a distro doesn't keep common apps.
>
> Until now there are no issues for me, I'm still comfortable with my
> Maverick install. Well, Natty already is tricky. I've got doubts
> regarding to Oneiric.
>
> OTOH, for Debian there's much more work to set up a DAW, I don't think a
> lot of people will debuild ALSA firmware etc..
>
> IMO this will cause more and more Ubuntu and Debian derivatives, so
> manpower is scattered to the four winds. We already have several
> audio/art distros based on Ubuntu or Debian.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf
>
> seems like http://www.linuxmint.com/ 's decision is to roll with gnome2
"til the wheels fall off". ubuntustudio must stick to what ubuntu main is
doing (pretty much) so gnome2 is going away. personally, if GCDmaster (which
seems to have last been updated in 2006) is one of only a handful of apps
that "break" because of the gnome2 deprecation, then i say "AWESOME!", and
you can quote me on it.

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/