Heads up, gcdmaster no longer available in Oneiric.

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:30:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> Do you keep in mind, that a lot of Linux audio users migrate from distro
> to distro, regarding to what at the moment fit best to their needs?
>
> I never used this app, but people who are accustomed to it, might prefer
> it for their work-flow.
>
> Don't make it harder for people to migrate to Ubuntu Studio.
>
> 2 Cents,
>
> Ralf
>
> hey Ralph.. ill just paste in Luke's message that started this thread which
contains a very concise explanation of not only why gcdmaster is going away.
but also what we can do to keep it around...

"Hi folks,
I still lirk here and read some discussion from time to time, and one thing
I noticed was the daily report of uninstallability issues with the studio
images, the latest one involving gcdmaster/cdrdao. I have fixed that issue
in the seeds, and am presently uploading a new meta to fix it in the archive
properly. The downside is that you lose gcdmaster. Its worth noting that
gcdmaster uses old GNOME libraries which are being removed from the Ubuntu
images, and even main. Gcdmaster is also not really maintained upstream.
Unfortunately this is not easily fixable, as gcdmaster is built from the
cdrdao package, which is in main.

If you want gcdmaster, then someone needs to step up and 1) maintain it, and
2) port it away from legacy GNOME libs.

Luke"

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/