Heads up, gcdmaster no longer available in Oneiric.

Cory Kontros coryisatm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 11:54:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Luke Yelavich <themuso at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I still lurk here and read some discussion from time to time, and one thing I noticed was the daily report of uninstallability issues with the studio images, the latest one involving gcdmaster/cdrdao. I have fixed that issue in the seeds, and am presently uploading a new meta to fix it in the archive properly. The downside is that you lose gcdmaster. Its worth noting that gcdmaster uses old GNOME libraries which are being removed from the Ubuntu images, and even main. Gcdmaster is also not really maintained upstream. Unfortunately this is not easily fixable, as gcdmaster is built from the cdrdao package, which is in main.
>
> If you want gcdmaster, then someone needs to step up and 1) maintain it, and 2) port it away from legacy GNOME libs.

Thanx for the heads up Luke.

This to me is indeed crappy news as I feel gcdmaster is a powerful
tool for artists to create audio CDs. If you haven't tried it, you
must.

What other app has the same functionality?

Should we at least start a new effort? "GTKCDmaster"? Maybe we start a
project to make a replacement app? Start off by going through its UI
noting what works/doesnt. I'm sure we can get a good plan going. We'd
just need a coder.

Thoughts?

--
-Cory K.