GNOME2 function comes to GNOME3, with a third party

Luke Kuhn lukekuhn at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 19:43:11 UTC 2011

I am running it right now in a netbook with only 1GB of ram installed, and top shows it using only 4.2%  of one GB, which is 42MB. When editing video on the big 4 core/4GB ram machines, I tend to keep a close eye on ram usage and would have noticed pretty quick if some process  made my conky bar for ram usage sit at 25% before even opening kdenlive or avidemux.
Even on this netbook, at idle CPU usage will show at 1% on one 'hyperthread" virtual core and 2% on the other. Whoever reported 1GB of ram in use with GNOME3 probably had a stuck process within it, perhaps after an update so something. My experience is that will normally show itself with 100% use of one core and the fan speeds coming up, though. Restarting X or at worst rebooting after such an update stops such problems and they don't come back in my experience.
I haven't had any resource use problems from any desktop, even GNOME3, affecting audio work in Audacity from any desktop environment on my 4 core machines, though on those I can actually edit audio while rendering video!