pulse audio

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Dec 23 15:08:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, December 23, 2011 5:36 am, Ralf Madorf wrote:

>> pasuspender PROGRAMMNAME" - http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/pulseaudio
>
> Pardon, it's on German :D.

Thankyou for the link. I had already found two things that helped.

Internal mics:
   In the aspire one netbook(and others with the same chip set) in order
to use the internal mic. The capture must have the two channels
unlocked and the left channel set at 0 then use the right level to set.
Wow, thats intuitive... I'm not sure thats the whole thing because I
was getting use out of it with both levels the same at least with the
alpha. I tried this with xubunutu oneric.

Internal mics 2:
    I don't know why, but... for some reason the internal mic seems to
have it's own adc. It is set at one speed, in my case 48000. When read
at 44100 (the default) it sounds staticy because of the mismatch. Kind
of like under runs I would guess. So on this machine (cheap netbook)
It is best to set the default to 48000 in the pulse config file. Pulse
is highly configurable there is no doubt, but figuring that out takes
some time. I would suspect both ALSA and jack should also be set to
the native frequency of the sound card (if using the internal sound
card). Good sound cards don't have this problem.

I was at the music store this week to pick up some strings for the bass. I
took a look around the computer plugin stuff. Keyboards are cheap ($40 for
a 2 octave usb KB) Mics are not bad... cheaper than they used to be. There
seem to be a number of usb mics with onboard recording capability (around
$200). Probably for the use I was thinking about for the netbook, this
would be the perfect solution. Use the mic to record and the netbook to
edit or save. They use sd cards to record to as well making archiving
easier.

www.OvenWerks.net