distro installs

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Dec 2 01:59:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, December 1, 2011 4:36 pm, Scott Lavender wrote:

> hehe, len, you might wait until tomorrow ;)
>
> the change was made in bzr right before i sent the previous email and even
> if my presumption that cjwatson updated the meta files and upload them to
> the repository it would be at least tomorrow before the new iso was built.

As it turns out... the base installer fails now... which should mean it is
up stream anyway. on my net book the computer reboots about the time it is
setting up libc6... on the desktop it is a bit later(much faster disk) It
looks like something is actually performing a reboot as I see some of the
"sending sigterm to *" kinds of messages. As anything we can do comes
after this and none of our seeds touch it... sounds like a vanilla ubuntu
problem.

I looked at the link to the changes... but didn't see anything I felt
would fix things. My thought is that because desktop-common is normally
the final stage and in fact can be in this case too... the gstreamer
plugin in the desktop-common has to have these libraries even if the
ffmpeg-common is never installed... so it chooses the non-extra style by
default. The better way in my mind is to realize that desktop-common
already requires the extra packages and include them as part of it rather
than adding them later. I do not think this is a bug if I think the
install process through. By not specifying the extra package for the
desktop gstreamer, we are effectively specifying the non-extra libs for
desktop-common.

Thats the way things would be in "Len's world"... "Ubuntu World" is a
strange and wonderful place that may be quite different.

www.OvenWerks.net