ffmpeg "extra" libs

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 18:35:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Micah Gersten <micahg at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/2011 05:12 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> > On Wed, November 30, 2011 2:49 pm, Micah Gersten wrote:
> >> There are possible licensing issues with the "extra" libs which is why
> >> they are in multiverse.  Applications in main or universe cannot depend
> >> solely on these binaries.  There should be alternate dependencies in
> >> place to allow one to choose between the "extra" and regular versions of
> >> each library.  The regular library has to take preference though.
> > Ok, how does that affect UbuntuStudio? Does it mean the extra libs can
> not
> > be included in the desktop-common? does it mean we should have the user's
> > permission or request before loading them? or just that we have to work
> > around the preference? We already don't ask if the user wants them or not
> > BTW.
> >

> It means that if the "extra" libs are seeded, it should just work.  If
> there's a package that depends on the non-extra libs only, I think that
> a bug should be filed so that you can use those as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Micah

as i noted in another email, we think this has been fixed (
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntustudio.precise/revision/1279
).

is appears to be similar to another situation that happened during natty (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ffmpeg-extra/+bug/685049)

thank you for testing, raising the problem, and re-raising it again :)

scottl