US website theme RFC & request for screenshots

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 05:06:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Jorge G. Mare <jorge.g.mare at gmail.com>wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Scott Lavender
> <scottalavender at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is amazing.  I am very impressed with the improvement.
>
> Glad you like it. I am more and more satisified with the looks and
> overall theme and colors. The slideshow navigation is still a bit
> weird, though. but I will fix it.
>
> > I really look forward to building the content for this :)
>
> I would like to do more work on the theme before putting it online on
> an staging URL. Hopefully next weekend or the week after that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jorge

Hey Jorge,

I just had some time to sit down and review this thread - took a look at the
screen shots too - and my first reactions were quite impressed.  I'm not so
sold on having the old blurry lights image in the header, but upon looking
at more screenshots it started to fade into the background.  A few nitpicky
items do jump to mind: 1) The admin link should not be anywhere on the
site.  All the people who have access to the admin of the site, know how to
get there without the clickable link.  This just encourages attempted
security intrusions.  2)  Is there a usecase for a user profile page?  i.e.
who will have authority to create content on the site?  3) Can we see a few
screenshots outside of the admin login (i.e. a new blog post or story
without the edit links above)?

And one not-so nitpicky thing that could be a major thorn for us eventually;
the twitter feed - which is a great idea (I'm fine with just grabbing any
#ubuntustudio hashtag post) - inherently relies on a new drupal module being
loaded to the site.  Any new drupal module will need to undergo a full
scrutiny by Cannonical's web security team before their admins okay its
upload.  This means we need to decide upon which modules we'll need for this
web update/revamp sooner rather than later and get that process underway.

Nice work so far.  It does look like I'm going to have a free day every two
weeks or so (starting in about a month) to chime in more than I have been
and help with the implementation work.  Keep up the nice tweaks.

- Eric Hedekar