Ubuntu Studio 11.10 UI discussion. GNOME3, Unity, XFCE and Studiousers workflow.

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 15:27:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM, ttoine <ttoine at ttoine.net> wrote:

> Puredyne is based on Ubuntu Hardy LTS, for what I know. This is the
> same for 64Studio.
>
> What about using Docky for dock/panel ?? Simple ot use, stable, ligjht,
> etc...
>
> The other problem of using a dock is compositing. Is Awn needing
> compositing ? Docky needs it, but don't require Compiz, it can work
> with just Metacity compositing, for exemple. We have to check that
> Xfce compositing allow to the dock to work well, light and fast,
> without generating xruns, etc...
>
> Toine

valid arguments, but i was suggesting we look at puredyne to help get some
facts straight about the speed and feel of LXDE with audio software...
acutally, puredyne is based on ubuntu 9.10, so the software (JACK, ardour,
and the other usual suspects) is not that far out of date that we cant get a
feel for the UI's in LXDE... but a natty live CD with some of the proposed
changes in place will likely be available sometime soon as part of this
process...

also, i have said that im not a fan of having a dock, but one of the very
good arguments *for* using an AWN dock instead of other docks is that cory
feels that it works and looks best without compiz...

this is no small change, and someone's ideas are going to get left out, and,
as they say "you cant please everybody", but i would like to urge all of us,
including myself to really spend some time, and do some research, collect
some facts, see what XFCE/xubuntu is like, try AWN, *and* keep in mind that
just like the current configuration of ubuntustudio, it is easily
customizable by the end-user... thanks
--
MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/