Ubuntu Studio 11.10 UI discussion. GNOME3, Unity, XFCE andStudiousers workflow.

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 11 04:32:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:43:18PM EST, Scott Lavender wrote:
> Essentially, the Gnome desktop environment (Gnome2 or gnome-panels) as we
> know it will not be included in Oneiric Ocelot [1].  We are not ditching
> Gnome, it is being taken away from us.  We need to find a different desktop
> environment.

This I need to correct. In no way shape or form is the classic GNOME desktop being removed from oneiric at all, it will be still available in universe if people want it, however its less and less likely to be maintained upstream, so you may be able to use it for one, maybe 2 cycles without it starting to bit rot, but I do think a decision needs to be made sooner rather than later.

Luke