Putting the cart before the horse. (was: Final Notes on the Ubuntu Studio Website)

Brian David beejunk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 06:07:00 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Scott Lavender <scottalavender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Cory K. <coryisatm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What *needs* to be settled 1st before *anything* should be put together
>> is: Audience - Who we're talking to.
>>
>> It's a major first step from which everything is built.
>>
>> If Scott hasn't already done it, he should start a wiki page outlining
>> our audiance and new direction. Aesthetic/stylistic guidelines can be
>> developed from there. This needs to be managed by him as he's the
>> current lead.
>>
>> Also, doing anything for 10.10 should be abandoned. It's just too late
>> in the cycle and rushing things now will show in the final product. A
>> good concerted effort for Natty is best IMO.
>>

>> -Cory K.
>>

> Okay, I've updated the website revamp website to include an area for
> audience and themes:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/TaskWebRevamp
>
> Please update the website with more examples or further thoughts as
> appropriate.
>
> Thank you,
> ScottL

So, about this 'target audience' thing:

I don't know if we want to make 'familiarity with Linux' a main attribute.
Sure, anyone who wants to use UbuStu will need to learn Linux, but we
shouldn't assume any initial knowledge.  Let's not forget that this is
Ubuntu, a distro that has branded itself as the most easy-to-use.  We are
looking to bring people into the fold who perhaps have always wanted to try
Linux, but were too intimidated by the learning curve.  These people might
be interested because:

-They support community-developed projects, and align with the ideals of
things like GPL, Creative Commons, etc.
-Are unhappy with the state of 'industry standard' software

Now, I do agree that the target audience should already have some kind of
proficiency in their field, whether it is music or graphics.  These people
will want professional, alternative software, but they won't want to spend a
lot of down time converting.  Therefore, Ubuntu Studio should do what it can
to work out-of-the-box, and for those things which the user absolutely must
fix themselves, then there should be plenty of easily available
documentation/tutorials to help them through.

Just my thoughts.
--
-Brian David