Ubuntu switching to Unity Desktop

Ricardo Lameiro ricardolameiro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:31:19 BST 2010

Hey Eric, happy to see you again :D

yeah, you are right, XFCE isnt so lightweight anymore.
 It looks like gnome 2.x will be supported for Natty, because there is a
need for a fallback if the driver doesnt work or the computer doesn support
it, so it seems we have no big problem continuing with gnome panels. and
also this is not so important for us anyway, we are very different from
ubuntu default desktop so....

2010/10/29 Brian David <beejunk at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Chris Jones <chrisjones at comcen.com.au>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 09:17 +0200, Antoine Thomas wrote:>
>>
>> I am not so sure about that.
>>
>> I have tested Unity in its current form on my onboard Intel i865 video
>> chipset which can run Compiz just fine. Yet Unity simply does not work,
>> on the same hardware.
>> Although this may change as development comes along.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> --
>>
>> Chris Jones
>>

> I believe that Unity does not currently use Compiz, although it will by the
> time of Natty's release.  In order to use Unity on a desktop right now,
> you'll want to make sure Compiz is turned off (at least, such is the case
> with my computer).  I always have Compiz turned off, anyway, because it
> introduces noticeably slower performance with certain applications (GIMP in
> particular).
> --
> -Brian David

Fagote / Contrafagote