Ubuntu switching to Unity Desktop

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 00:08:23 BST 2010

I just wanted to weigh in here and say that I would NOT like to see Ubuntu
Studio turn into Xubuntu Studio.  From my experience, XFCE is not all that
lightweight, and it does not behave the way my mind expects a WM to behave.

Between Unity and Gnome Panels, I'd stick with Gnome Panels right now.
Unity is convenient with netbooks and touchscreens, but neither of these use
cases are what the average Ubuntu Studio user would likely need.

Is it possible to consider Gnome Shell in this discussion?  Could it be a
viable user friendly solution?  I personally have started using it on my
netbook and prefer it to Unity or Gnome Panels.

- Eric Hedekar