Natty -lowlatency kernel

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Oct 27 14:52:35 BST 2010

On 2010-10-27 04:02, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would want let you notice that I made a preliminary (and untested)
> version of the Natty -lowlatency kernel for testing.
> It is available through my PPA
> (https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=natty).
>
> I suggest to use a VM for first tests at least.
>
> Any feedback is welcome!
Cool, and good timing, since there is a UDS session tomorrow when this
flavour is going to be discussed. Here's some feedback. I'm at UDS but I
was bold enough to install it directly on Maverick, on my laptop with an
HDA card.

I tried to do some testing and so far I haven't seen any difference. I
haven't experienced any instability or something like that, but I
haven't experienced any improvments either. I tried jack with 256x2
buffers and got underruns with both the standard Maverick kernel and the
2.6.36-1-lowlatency kernel. 2x1024 gave no underruns on the generic one,
never tested that setting on the lowlatency version.

Perhaps I've done something wrong. I should really do more testing, see
if there is any buffer size where there is a difference, and try to get
to the bottom of that to see what's actually causing the underruns.
(Which means I have to learn how to do that...)

// David