AW: Putting the cart before the horse. (was: Final Notes on the Ubuntu Studio Website)

saearea-test at yahoo.com saearea-test at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 14:41:06 BST 2010

________________________________
Von: Benjamin Turner <passionsplaydesign at gmail.com>
An: Ubuntu Studio Development & Technical Discussion
<ubuntu-studio-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Gesendet: Samstag, den 16. Oktober 2010, 19:29:30 Uhr
Betreff: Re: Putting the cart before the horse. (was: Final Notes on the Ubuntu
Studio Website)

Hi Benjamin!

>Very cool! I like it a lot and would like to learn whether all your creations
>were done using Ubuntu Studio applications?
>
>For example, one can create a great looking image in GIMP resembling a  website,
>but how does one proceed further. Which tools would one use to  turn the GIMP
>file into an HTML file? I guess this could be something included in the tasks
>section.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Stefan

Hey Stefan --

To answer your question, I do use Ubuntu Studio (with some other packages added)
to create digital graphics.  In terms of designing things for the web, I will
typically layout and build things using Inkscape.  If i'm doing something that
requires altering a photo then I will fire up GIMP, but not until it is
necessary.  My main rational for this is that with raster (bitmap) images and
layouts, things degrade quite quickly as you make changes.  Also, in terms of
personal preference, I think that I just think in 'vector' style.

 I do know that some people use GIMP for creating the prototype, however for me
I prefer Inkscape.  I think that it boils down to a couple of things.

1) Inkscape is a drawing program, as opposed to image editing program.  By that
I mean you make lines, circles, rectangles, text blocks, etc... as opposed to
making selections and changing the color of pixels (what GIMP does).

2) Because it is a vector editing program, you can scale it to any size without
pixelation of the image.  You can also export the page, or any part of it to any
resolution that you want (see File:Export Bitmap in Inkscape)

3) Also because Inkscape is a markup language (it uses SVG)  it has many
similarities to HTML.  In addition svg is slowily becoming supported by browsers
(chromium does mostly, firefox a bit -  its quickly coming about.)

Anyway, check out inkscape.  I will also be trying to document my process
(beyond just inkscape) at the very least for the current wiki, and hopefully for
the various 'tasks' that we'll highlighting.

-- Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

thank you very much for your reply! I am totally with you regarding the use of
vector graphics for design aspects. Like you mentioned, the possibility of going
back to edit something precisely and accurately makes a vector graphics
application like Inkscape an essential tool.

I know you've mentioned that you will document your development process in the
"tasks" section, may I ask you to describe briefly (2-3 sentences) which
applications to use to go forward in web development once your layout in
Inkscape is finished? Do you use something like KImageMapEditor and Quanta Plus?
I am currently working on a project myself and have used Windows based
applications in the past, but would really like to get away from it. Your advise
on Inkscape has me using it now (it does look similar to Macromedia FreeHand - a
tool I was very very fond of).

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Stefan