Little advise for all who will work on closed video drivers (was "Closed video drivers for -realtime kernels")

Alessio Igor Bogani abogani at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 14 07:45:39 BST 2010

Hi Brian,

2010/10/14 Brian David <beejunk at gmail.com>:
[...]
> Alessio, here is a link to the requested log files:
> http://www.sunmachine.coop/ubuntu/xorg_logs.zip
> Apologies for taking so long to get these to you.

Don't worry! :-)

The /var/log/Xorg.[0-9]*.log and dmesg output are mandatory for help
to understand problems under all kernels. The former it is
particularly X oriented when the latter is more generic (it is cover
all things controlled by kernel).

These simple text files (ASCII) are generated from a running system so
they are specific of the software used to bootstrap the same system.
So if you boot a -generic kernel these files will contain information
about that kernel and not others. Other simple text files (ASCII) like
configuration files are valid for all kernels because almost ever they
are per-machine thus indifferently on which kernel you use to
bootstrap or if  you choose to change kernel at boot time through boot
menu (aka GRUB).

As you can see files in first lines often contains that information:

[Line 5 cut from your Xorg.0.log]
Current Operating System: Linux happy-cat 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu
SMP Fri Sep 17 20:26:08 UTC 2010 i686
                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FYI Also dmesg output contains the information of the kernel in
execution when the output was generated:

[Line 3 from my machine at work]
[    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.32-25-generic (buildd at rothera) (gcc
version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17
20:26:08 UTC 2010 (Ubuntu 2.6.32-25.44-generic 2.6.32.21+drm33.7)

Both files you have sent me contains information about -generic
kernel. Also if generally it is very useful have these files of a
failing kernel and of a working one (to let use compare) in this case
we can't proceed because outputs refers on the same kernel.

Probably you are wondering how obtain these files if you can't access
to GNOME working system (perhaps because -realtime kernel don't yet
working with your video driver). It is fairly simple:

1) Start the system
2) Waiting that X fail (I don't like failsafe interface)
3) Be sure that system have done all necessary works (seeing the
hard-disk led for example)
4) Switch to command line interface (CTRL+ALT+F1)
6) Authenticate yourself with the same username and password which you
usually use for a working graphical system
5) Grab the requested files
   dmesg > dmesg.output.realtime
   cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ./Xorg.0.log.realtime
6) reboot (and choose a working kernel!)
7) Sent files

So I'm waiting for the right logs a little further :-)

Ciao,
Alessio