Audio no longer feasible with vanilla Ubuntu + Studio packages (?)

Brian David beejunk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 05:44:56 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Ronan Jouchet <ronan at jouchet.fr> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> TToine: yes I added myself to the audio group (that's what "the usual
> setup in groups" meant in my extremely imprecise original mail :P )
>
> Brian, yay! You're right these settings were in
> /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf (thanks to jackd2's dpkg install
> procedure, am I right?) but I also added them manually in
> /etc/security/limits.conf . Seems to work fine after restoring
> limits.conf. And sorry if the following questions have already been
> answered, but:
>  a. is audio.conf new to jack2?
>  b. why this change?
>  c. should we leave limits.conf alone now?
>
> I am using an Edirol FA-66. And while we're at it, now seems a good
> time to empty my bag of related questions:
>  d. I read about changes in the firewire stack (different kinds of
> /dev beasts used now). Do they concern all firewire cards, and what is
> their impact?
>  e. is adding the user to the "disk" group still required?
>  f. under lucid, in order to get jack to start I often had to modprobe
> raw1394 && chmod a+rw /dev/raw1394 . Under Maverick I no longer need
> this, is this thanks to the new firewire stack, some kind of new auto
> setup, or the powerz of keyboard cat playing during a full moon night?
>
> Thanks everybody for your grrreat help!
> Ronan

Looks like all your questions got answered.  I will say that I use a
firewire device myself (a Firepod) and while it does work out of the box in
Maverick, I found it did not work well i.e. lots of x-runs.  However, when I
used Ubuntu Studio Controls to adjust firewire priveleges, it worked much
better.  I would not use Ubuntu Studio Controls for anything else, though,
as it still modifies limits.conf, and as this discussion has pointed out,
that is no longer the right file.
--
-Brian David