Putting the cart before the horse. (was: Final Notes on the Ubuntu Studio Website)

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:01:00 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Brian David <beejunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Scott Lavender <scottalavender at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Benjamin Turner <
>> passionsplaydesign at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I hope to address some of the questions in this email later this week.
>>
>> Properly identifying the audience and the purpose of the website is
>> critical in order to make the website useful.  I have given it quite a bit
>> of thought but haven't really devoted time to fleshing it out and writing it
>> down.
>>
>> However, in that fashion I have been working on this mock-up for the past
>> two weeks while exploring audience and purpose:
>> http://www.fossmusicproject.org/public/images/website-mockup-3.png
>>
>> I trust that most people will find this mock-up far superior to my last
>> one ;)
>>
>> Comments are encouraged and welcomed (even ones that say it sucks).
>>
>> ScottL
>>

> I'm liking the general direction this is headed.  I would say that it looks
> a little busy.  Also, I think using "Linux for Creative Humans" is better
> than "Set Your Creativity Free".  I also don't care for the "Experience. .
> ." added to the Ubuntu Logo.  Those are the initial thoughts that come to
> mind.

Yes, I agree.  I had inspiration for that page and when I reflected on my
efforts I realized that I had lost the simplicity that I admire from that
example.  The first version was much closer and by the third (which is the
latest linked) it had lost it's "voice".

LOL.  Some have expressed that they really liked the "Experience" bit :)

So many differing opinions. :P

> Also, were you thinking there would be a gateway page, or would this be the
> page people see immediately upon going to ubuntustudio.com?

It's funny you mention this as I had talked yesterday in the IRC channel
(#ubuntustudio-devel) about possibly moving the "What is Ubuntu Studio" part
of that page to a "landing page".  Which would essentially be a gateway
page.

Again, this has been met with differing opinions.  ;)

> Would you be able to send a link for the .svg?  I'd like to try combining
> some of your ideas with the things I've been working on, and see what that
> might look like.

Absolutely,  I will do it tonight.

I had meant to last night.